It’s that time of year again! We are excited to announce the launch of the Blooming Lambeth Awards 2021 – a chance for every grower in the borough to win a cash prize and be recognised by IEL for their contribution to making Lambeth a better place to live.
The categories: we have eight categories this year, See below for a full description of each.
Judging and prizes: there will be cash prizes of £150 and £75 for winners and highly commended. Four of the categories will be peoples’ vote, whilst four categories will be voted by directors of IEL. Make sure you read the guidelines before applying. You can nominate yourself or someone you know or a garden you admire.
Each entry should be accompanied by ALL of the following information:
- your name and email address
- the person or contact at the garden you’re nominating (if it’s not yourself), their email address
- the address/location of the garden, school or where the person volunteers
- a description of your nomination: min 50/max 200 words – make this as clear as you can – this is what we and the public will read and will help in judging.
- your nomination’s social media accounts (if you/they have any): Twitter / Instagram / Flickr / FB page
- photos: (min 3 / max 8) maximum size 2MB – make sure these photos are clear and really showcase the category you’re nominating. These are what we will use to shortlist nominations and the public will see to cast their vote.
- you (or your nomination) must live or work in Lambeth
- you can nominate once in as many categories as you like
- if you are shortlisted yours, or your nominee’s bank account details will be required. We make bank transfers not cash payments. Only nominees will get paid, not nominators.
- by entering these awards, you agree to IEL using your images on our social media accounts and website. You agree to waive your copyright. (we will not sell your images for commercial purposes) If you are sending a photo with an image with a minor in it, you must either be their parent or custodian, and/or have their consent, for IEL to use it. Safeguarding is your responsibility here – do not submit any images of minors you do not want publicised.
- and finally, it’s a given – in line with our ongoing campaign – no harmful pesticide or herbicide will have been used to aid growth of your plants. We also would love to hear that you have opted for peat free compost.
Why bother entering? There will be at least two prizes per category, with cash winnings of £75-£150 each and, as a winner, your garden will receive lots of publicity and a small framed certificate. Everyone is welcome to attend an events ceremony in October (we are not yet certain whether this will be in real life or online or both!).
The deadlines: the deadline for entering the awards is 30th June. All IEL voting and visiting of gardens will take place in July and August, when photos will be taken. Public voting will take place through September, awards will be announced at the awards event in October.
Here are the categories for this year:
1. Most imaginative growing space in public view for growing vegetables (a parklet, a planter, a balcony, a hanging basket, an unusual container) – people’s vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/bla21cat1/
2. Ivor Picardo Award for abundant growing of edibles (public or private space) – directors’ vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/bla21cat2/
3. Best school garden – people’s vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/bla21cat3/
4. Most enthusiastic young gardener – at home or in a school – directors’ vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/bla21cat4/
5. Best volunteer for a community growing space – directors’ vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms-bla21cat5/
6. Best resident-led community garden – directors’ vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/forms-bla21cat6/
7. Best garden in bloom (public or private space but must have a public facing view) – people’s vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/bla21cat7/
8. Best space for encouraging biodiversity – people’s vote
NOMINATE HERE: https://www.incredibleediblelambeth.org/forms/bla21cat8/